The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accounting Assistant (STATAFRIC)
Requisition ID: 2029
Duration: Fixed Term
Job Grade: GSA5
Reports to: Executive Director of STATAFRIC
Directorate/Department/Organ: African Union Institute for Statistics (STATAFRIC)
Division: Office of Executive Director of STATAFRIC
Purpose of Job
- Reporting to the Executive Director of STATAFRIC, the Accounting Assistant will be responsible for the day-to-day accounting of the World Bank Projects implemented by STATAFRIC and will work closely with STATAFRIC implementation unit on the activities during the lifetime of the projects.
- The 3 major projects funded by the World Bank are:
- Harmonizing and Improving Statistics in West Africa Project (HISWA)
- Eastern Africa Regional Statistics Program-for-Results (EARSPforR)
- Harmonizing and Improving Statistics in West and Central Africa (HISWACA)
- Provide timely technical and operational support in line with the STATAFRIC’s mandate;
- Implement technical and operational activities as scheduled and report;
- Assist in the follow-up of activity implementation and provision of updates, facilitate logistical arrangements linked to the area of work;
- Follow up on the provision and upkeep of tools and materials linked to the area of work.
- Liaise effectively with internal and external stakeholders;
- Assist in the creation, improvement and maintenance of systems relevant to the area of work; gather data and information and do preliminary analysis and research for consideration by the bigger team and the supervisor;
- Prepare office communication linked to the area of operation and assist in compiling data and information for reporting and analysis purposes. Follow up decisions and correspondence outcomes and ensure their implementation.
- Responsible for the day-to-day accounting functions relating to the World Bank-funded projects implemented by STATAFRIC.
- Prepare bank reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Facilitate payments to service providers;
- Settle imprest, travel claims and make relevant adjustments in SAP;
- Maintain financial documents and post financial transactions in SAP.
- Work closely with the Finance Officer to ensure timely and accurate monthly close of financial records for STATAFRIC;
- Work diligently and follow up on the funds with Finance Management at the African Union Commission Headquarters.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or a related field, with two (2) years of relevant professional work experience in the areas of accounting/finance.
- A Diploma in Accounting or Finance or related field-led, with three (3) years of relevant professional work experience in the areas of accounting/finance.
- Advanced knowledge in the application of Microsoft Office Suite particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
- Practical experience in preparing bank reconciliation statements;
- Hands-on experience in the use of SAP or similar ERP;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, organizational ability and time management;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Conscientious in observing deadlines and achieving results
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage;
- Strategic Insight..
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Continuous Improvement Orientation:
- Task Focused;
- Managing Risk
- Core Competencies
- Building Relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Functional Competencies
Tenure Of Appointment:
- The Appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance, and agreed deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) is mandatory and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 55,174.63 (GSA5 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 22,656.97 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
- The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, GuineaBissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia
Application Deadline 24th November, 2023; 11h59 p.m. EAT