The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ICT Officer
Employment Type: Full Time
- To implement, maintain and monitor the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) infrastructure in Nigeria Main Offices, supporting ICT Manager and providing a range of appropriate, efficient IT services.
- Overall this will ensure the wider staff body have seamless access and services to meet their own objectives, business needs, strategy, and the aspirations of the Country Plan.
This post will have the following core functions:
- Provide technical support to British Council main office staff on standard software and hardware, including telephones, mobile technology, printers/copiers/scanners, including support with events including web streaming.
- This includes communicating timelines and expected resolution, the management of task logging, provision of technical resolution within the agreed period, and follow-ups that may be required:
- Ensuring timely first- and second-level support to ensure seamless operations
- Escalating any problems/issues to relevant teams as required and following up to facilitate effective communications to end-users
- Supporting the implementation of local projects in conjunction with GIS and GSD.
- Support administration, implementation, and upgrades of the overall ICT environment (hardware, software, and infrastructure) according to business and technical needs, in accordance with the Kenya / corporate ICT strategy, industry best practice, and necessary change and configuration management.
- Monitoring of all server (MS 2008) logs, services, performance, disk space, and the taking of corrective action.
- Ensuring daily backups of all servers are taken, including conducting test restores
- Ensuring systems are secured from external threats like hacking/virus attacks, including regular checks on software compliance
- Ensuring 24/7 availability of Local Area Network (LAN) and Internet connectivity
- Ensuring restricted access to server rooms and the physical security of IT equipment
- Implementing approved updates/upgrades on receipt of guidelines and Technical Design, within agreed timeframes, ensuring service disruptions and appropriate communications to staff
- Ensuring ‘correct first-time’ installation of standard and approved software
- Managing the IT inventory (software and hardware).
- Ensuring that (a) the SBU and BSS teams are aware of information security policies and (b) comply with them, working in close conjunction with the Information and Records Manager.
- Ensuring account opening requests are actioned effectively and that new accounts are ready ahead of time.
- Disabling accounts same day on request from HR/line managers, for leavers or other staff as needed.
- Providing security awareness briefings to the teams on a regular basis, at least annually.
Role-specific knowledge and experience
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) on Win 7 and Server 2008 platform
- University Degree or equivalent
- 5 years of IT experience in desktop support and server administration, networking, and providing technical and business application support
- Office 2016 support and Knowledge of Office 365 functionality, including Skype for Business, Teams, OneNote, One Drive, Planner, and Sway; and practical ability in deployment, and supporting user requests
- User Support Skills: Ensures all IT issues are resolved or channelled to appropriate support function in GIS within agreed service levels.
- Microsoft Certified Professional on (Window10 + Server 2016)
- ITIL Foundation certificate or corresponding level of knowledge
- Basic Project Management skills.
- Practical knowledge of computer networks (client-server and workgroup networks)
- Practical knowledge of working with Microsoft Windows Server products in a corporate environment.
- Language requirements: Strong written and oral English communication skills.
N9,579,375 gross per annum (Pay Band – 4).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Role holder must have existing rights to live and work in the country the role is based.
Application Deadline 12th October, 2023 (23:59 West African Time).