Health Field Officer 3 – Team Lead at The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Field Officer 3 – Team Lead
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Full-time
- Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office – Damaturu, the Health Field Officer 3 Team lead, supports the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of Nutrition, First Aid, Health Care in Danger (HCiD), and Primary Health Care (PHC)/Reproductive health programs.
- Supports review of health program in the Area of Responsibility (AOR) and assessment/planning of new projects and understands the health challenges and monitors the health situation in the AOR and recommends response when appropriate.
- Develops and maintains a network of health interlocutors within the health authorities and represents ICRC in health-related meetings.
- Advises on the cultural, economic, security and political climate of the Northeast and health structure.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Head of Office (HoO) who is responsible for the health programs in the AoR and the development of a health response in line with the health strategy/ICRC mandate, participates in multidisciplinary approach to assessment, response, and support.
- Monitors the health environment in AOR, identifies and reports on communicable disease outbreaks, mass casualty incidents, populations at risk and proposes response when appropriate.
- Together with the HCiD focal person and other depts, develops and promotes Health Care in Danger initiatives in the AoR.
- Provides clinical expertise to Nutrition stabilisation centres (SC) supported by ICRC,
- Support the assessment, planning and implementation of the management of acute malnutrition in PHCs and hospitals, including GMP, family MUAC, the community therapeutic programme and stabilization centres.
- Ensures that SC is well integrated in the hospital paediatric departments.
- Works closely with nutrition delegate, Hospital staff and MoH nutrition teams to ensure to a high standard of care.
- Represent the ICRC nutrition programme in nutrition cluster meetings and other discussions that are relevant for the ICRC health and nutrition programmes
- Collaborates with the HoO, ABJ Health Mgt in development of health strategy and a work-plan to ensure appropriate planning, implementation, and monitoring for specific programs by health field officers in PHC, First Aid, HCiD, Nutrition.
- Promotes /strengthens community involvement and participation to facilitate health promotion.
- Represents the ICRC in relation to health activities with the Health Sector, communities, and the Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS).
- Ensures a support role to Ministry of Health (MoH), State and LGA level in ICRC support to PHC and nutrition (OTP & Stabilization centers (SC) programs and ensures a dialogue, joint monitoring are maintained.
- Supports training and capacity-building at PHC and SC level in collaboration with health team and MoH.
- Supports development of a Basic Emergency training program in Yobe State.
- Maintains an ongoing overview of health situation in AOR, Monitors, reports and follows all suspected or confirmed outbreaks including malnutrition, malaria, diarrhoea, and vaccine preventable diseases.
Education and Experience Required
- Medical Doctor or University Degree in Nursing / Midwifery; registered with strong 5 years experience in Public Health.
- Applicants should have a Nigerian nationality or hold a working permit
- Paediatric and nutritional clinical experience an advantage
- Fluent in written and oral English
- Fluent in local languages including Hausa is an asset
Desired Profile and Skills:
- Good verbal and written communication skills, ability to work within a team
- Good negotiation and diplomatic skills
- Computer literate (Word, Excel).
- Applications intended for this role that disregard the online application Ms Form will not be taken into consideration
- Late applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Equal opportunities shall be provided to all employees and applicants for employment based on their demonstrated ability and competence without discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, status, disability etc.
- The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment
- We welcome applications from all qualified candidates;Female &People Living with Disabilityapplicants are encouraged to apply.
- ICRC will not request any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline 28th December, 2023 (16:30hrs)