Social Performance Specialist at BUA Cement Plc
BUA Cement Plc is the result of a merger between CCNN Plc and Obu Cement Company Plc (formerly Obu Cement Company Limited). Cement Company of Northern Nigeria (CCNN) was incorporated in 1962 and commenced operations in 1967, with an installed capacity of 100,000 mtpa at Kalambaina, Sokoto State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Social Performance Specialist
Reporting to: HCSE Director
Internally Relates With: Administration & Corporate Service Department.
External Relationship: Consultants, Technical Specialists
- The successful applicant will be responsible for managing and overseeing the social development aspects of BUA’s Sokoto Plant operations.
- This will include, but not be limited to; stakeholder engagement and interaction, oversight and management of community development initiatives, management and monitoring of resettlement activities, livelihood monitoring, community health and safety, and grievance management.
- The social performance specialist will report directly to BUAs Health, Safety, Environment and Community (HSEC) Director to ensure a consistent and considered management approach is implemented across the environmental, health, safety, and community areas.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely with the existing Corporate Services department to implement a robust and inclusive stakeholder engagement approach incorporating key stakeholders such as national, state, and local government, religious and community leaders, and local communities.
- Develop and implement an informed approach to community and local development projects through the adoption of a Community Development Plan (CDP).
- Support the HSEC director in the development, implementation, and reporting on lender E&S requirements and deliverables
- Assume responsibility and oversight of BUAs resettlement activities, including stakeholder engagement, development of Resettlement Action Plans (RAP), monitoring, and evaluation.
- Support the Corporate Services department in the management of the community grievance management mechanism, including reviewing received grievances, identifying trends and systemic issues, and ensuring timely feedback and resolution.
- Play a key role in developing, implementing, and enhancing BUAs social development strategy, through advising the HSEC director, engaging stakeholders and supporting colleagues.
- Ensure community health and safety concerns and impacts are adequately identified, assessed, and mitigated.
- Supervise the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to both BUA policies and good international industry practice.
- Provide oversight of BUA Cement (Sokoto) security management approach and ensure adoption and adherence to good international industry practice.
Requirements / Key Competencies
- Postgraduate Degree in a Social Science related field or similar (sociology, Anthropology, International Relations, Political Science, Development Studies).
- 12+ years’ experience in a socio-economic / development role.
- Experience working with the Government of Nigeria including in-depth knowledge of country systems. Experience working in Sokoto state a plus.
- Strong oral and written presentation skills, creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Hausa.
- Demonstrated skills and direct work experience with at least one or more of the following: community development, public consultations; resettlement; monitoring and evaluation; grievance redress mechanisms
- Proven knowledge and experience of good international industry practice, including IFC Performance Standards and EHS Guidelines.
- Ability and proven experience to manage large scale resettlement projects in accordance with the requirements of IFC Performance Standard 5.
- Ability to develop and maintain a positive dialogue with key stakeholders, including local communities, government, and lenders.
Application Deadline 1st August, 2023.