Assistant Information Management Officer at The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Information Management Officer
Job Requisition ID: JR2333315
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Hardship Level: E (most hardship)
Family Type: Non Family with Residential Location Danger Pay
Staff Member / Affiliate Type: National Professional Officer
Remote work accepted: No
Target Start Date: 2024-04-01
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Assistant Information Management Officer assists in the production and dissemination of information on the population of concern, including but not limited to Protection and Programme information.
- The incumbent operationalizes data standards developed at the central level in field operations, compiles data and analyses information from populations of concern.
- S/he supports the Programme Team and UNHCR’s implementing partners in the choice of indicators for monitoring to be included in sub-agreements as well as the Protection Team in operationalizing protection monitoring systems.
- Operationalize country-specific common data standards and promote them with partners, including UNHCR data standards and the IASC Common Operational Datasets.
- Compile, aggregate and analyze data and information elements required to produce standardized information products and implement data/information collection plans for baseline and context-specific data.
- Assist in training of data entry and data collection teams.
- Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
- Support the operation in the analysis of processed data and information and perform data quality and consistency control.
- Facilitate the analysis of cross-border information between relevant countries.
- Assist in training staff involved in information management activities, including data collection and data entry teams.
- Support and leverage geographic data for map production and use in geographic information systems (GIS).
- Share UNHCR data with partner agencies and maintain Portal data and information in-line with agreed frequencies.
- Provide technical Information Management support to Needs Assessment processes, specifically in data collection, processing/collation and analysis.
- Liaise with partners and represent UNHCR in meetings related to the functions.
- Make recommendations and provide advice on the technical information management requirements.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For P1/NOA 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education:
- Information Technology, Demography, Statistics, Social Sciences or other relevant field.
Relevant Job Experience:
- Knowledge of the UN system and the humanitarian community. Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures.
- Experience with handling confidential data and demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies.
- Successful participation in the Operational Data management Learning Programme is desirable.
- Experience in web design and software development is an asset. Experience with relevant software such as ArcGIS, Mapinfo, SPSS, EpiInfo6, SQL Server, and/or proGres is desirable. Experience with HTML, PHP, ASP and/or Java is an asset.
- DM-Data collection methodologies
- DM-Data science methodologies
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- DM-Data Management
- IM-Statistics Analysis
- DM-Data Interoperability
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Closing date: Not specified