Assistant Field Officer at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) works to ensure that everybody has the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge, having fled violence, persecution, war or disaster at home. Since 1950, we have faced multiple crises on multiple continents, and provided vital assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced and stateless people, many of whom have nobody left to turn to. We help to save lives and build better futures for millions forced from home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Field Officer
Job ID: JR2324586
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Employment Type: Full Time
Hardship Level: D
Residential location (if applicable): Accra, Ghana
Family Type: Non Family with Residential Location
Staff Member / Affiliate Type: National Professional Officer
Reason: Regular > Regular Assignment
Target Start Date: 2023-11-01
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Assistant Field Officer is normally supervised by the Senior Field Coordinator or Field Officer or Head of Sub-Office/Field Office depending on the structure of the Office.
- S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/regional programme(s).
- UNHCR Manual, programme and protection objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the incumbent.
- The incumbent does not normally have any direct supervisory role. S/he has daily contacts with staff in the various field offices and with the functional units at the Country/Regional Office.
- S/he also has close liaison with a range of local civilian and military authorities and counterparts in NGOs and UN agencies to discuss matters of common interest.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assess the needs of persons of concern in the AoR and formulate project submissions in collaboration with district authorities and implementing partners.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly sectoral reports and submit material for preparation of periodic project monitoring reports and year-end reports.
- Submit recommendation for protection interventions to the designated officer.
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Promote and monitor the implementation of assistance projects.
- Report regularly on rate of flow of new arrivals and estimate expected influx based on interviews with persons of concern.
- In co-ordination with implementing partners, assist with the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Keep track of cases of detention; register applicants for voluntary repatriation and family reunion.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For P1/NOA 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate Degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
- Field(s) of Education:
- Law, Political Sciences or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- UNHCR Protection Learning Programme
- UNHCR Operations Management Learning Programme
- Field experience.
- Knowledge of refugee law.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR¿s programmes.
- PG-UNHCR’s Programmes
- FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other)
- PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
- PG-Results-Based Management
- PG-Stakeholder management and coordination with Implementing Partners (Gov/NGO/Corporate)
- PG-Resource planning
- IT-Computer Literacy
- BU-PeopleSoft EPM/Budget
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th August, 2023.