The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
Applications are invited for:
Title: African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC)
Organization: African Union
- The African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU YVC), established in 2010, is a flagship continental Youth Leadership program that recruits trains an deploys young African professionals from all 55 AU Member States to serve as professional volunteers for a period of 12 months.
Purpose of the African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AUYVC)
- AUYVC promotes volunteerism to deepen the status of young people in Africa as key actors in Africa’s development targets and goals, enhancing their participation in policy, programs and initiatives towards the realization of AU Agenda2063 – ‘The Africa We Want’.
- It brings people together to share skills, knowledge, creativity and learning to build a more integrated, prosperous, and peaceful Continent driven by its citizens.
- The concept is in line with the Decision of AU Head of States and Governments in Assembly/AU/Dec.274 (XVI) January 2010, to set up a Continental Volunteer initiative and to promote volunteerism to empower young people and accelerate Africa’s development.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or in the Diaspora.
- Aged 18 – 35 years (must be under the age of 35 upon completing 12 months service)
- Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET, Bachelor’s, Master’s etc.)
- Available in 2023/24 to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for professional volunteer service.
- Willing to live and work in another AU Member State.
- Is proficient in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Swahili, Spanish).
- Has at least one-year verifiable volunteering experience and one-year professional work
- Proficient computer skills (MS Word, Excel and Power Point)
- Proficiency with e-mail and internet applications,
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing
- Proficiency in one of the AU officials working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic, Spanish, Kiswahili) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Be committed to work
- Ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural environment
- Possess the highest standard of moral conduct and integrity
The African Union Commission and partners will cover the full costs of pre-deployment training and subsequent volunteer deployment for successful candidates. An African Union Youth Volunteers receive the following benefits & opportunities:
- Unique opportunity to engage at highest continental policy and programs at the African Union
- Health insurance cover
- AU Service Passport
- Separation allowance on successful completion of twelve months service
- Training and mentorship opportunities
- Network with Young African leaders from across the continent
- Economy return ticket to place of deployment
- A monthly stipend to cover living expenses
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
To submit your application:
- Visit the AU careers website; careers.au.int click on the AUYVC post:
- If you are a registered user, log in
- If you are not a registered user, create an account
- Fill out your personal information and complete the application form
- Attach the following documents:
- Your updated professional CV (no longer than 3 pages)
- Bio page of your passport or national ID
- Certificate copy of your highest completed qualification (transcripts are not acceptable)
- Attach a letter of recommendation (not older than 2 years) attesting to your
- leadership qualities (in the manifesto folder)
- Attach your cover letter. In your cover letter please respond to the following questions:
- Why do you want to become an African Union Youth Volunteer?
- What makes you the best candidate for AUYVC?
- What skills are you bringing to the AUYVC and your host organization?
- Review and submit your application before: Tuesday September 19, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT. Please note:
- Incomplete and late applications will not be considered
- Only successful applicants will be contacted
- Providing incomplete or incorrect information is ground for immediate disqualification
Note: Please note the African Union at no point charges or request facilitation fees to process applications.
Application Deadline 19th September, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.