Protection Officer at Malteser International
Malteser International is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work.In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas,Asiaand the Middle East, we support people in need– regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions.
Malteser International has been working in Nigeria since 2017. In Northeast Nigeria and more specifically in Borno State, MI is currently active in the WASH and Protection sector for improving the lives of both the IDP population as well as the host communities. The WASH activities focus on improved access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. They include NFI distribution, solarization of boreholes, rehabilitation of hand pumps, construction of latrines and hygiene promotion. Malteser International thereby applies a participatory, gender sensitive and inclusive approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Officer
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Employment Type: Full-time
Start date: July 2023 (Subject to availability of funding)
Duty Station: Yola (with expected travel across areas of project implementation in Adamawa)
Duration of contract: 3 months with possibility of extension
- Ensure GBV survivors and those at risk of Gender Based Violence (GBV) are identified and receive individual support by ensuring standard tools and procedures are in place and adhered to by implementing partners while complying with the rules and regulations of Malteser International and donors.
- Responsible for co-ordination and liaising between Malteser International and local partners/other agencies/local government/local communities/displaced community, as regards Malteser International Protection programme
- Represent Malteser International at the stakeholders meeting as necessary e.g. Gender Based Violence Working Group Meeting, NGO Forums etc.
- Manage, provide training and technical support, and build the capacity of the full case management team.
- Document all GBV cases and other related activities well and establish a good filing system.
- Contribute to regular internal and external donor reporting.
- Ensure continuous and effective liaison and coordination with target communities (IDPs and Host) as well as local and government authorities and other stakeholders on case management and offer referrals of cases where necessary.
- Monitor day-to-day activities in programmes to ensure best practices are adhered to unprovisioned GBV case management and psychosocial support services to survivors of gender-based violence by implementing partners.
- Maintain a “client-friendly” atmosphere that is nonjudgmental and supportive of beneficiaries regardless of their background, with special attention for respect of medical confidentiality.
- Participate in office work with colleagues as a good team player.
- Be an active role model towards the target population, by adhering to a healthy personal behavior and lifestyle.
- Maintain a non-judgmental and supportive attitude towards colleagues and beneficiaries regardless of their background, political affiliation, or religion.
- Take responsibility in representing Malteser International towards the local population, authorities and other (I)NGOs
- Adhere and respect Malteser International guidelines and codes.
- Carry out additional tasks as required by supervisor.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, Knowledge, and Experience
- University Degree in Social Sciences or related field with minimum of 3 years relevant professional experience in Protection sector (including at least one year in a supervisory role)
- Strong technical knowledge in general protection and GBV programming (i.e., protection monitoring, case management, psychosocial support activities)
- Strong report writing, planning and organizational skills
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment while maintaining an individual workload.
- Logical and flexible approach to solving problems, especially when working under pressure.
- Good English skills (speaking and writing); knowledge of beneficiary languages (Hausa and others)
- Ability to plan, balance and cope with competing priorities.
- Good standard of IT including proficiency in using MS Office, especially Excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to manage teams, initiate and organize work.
- Ability to establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Start date: July 2023 (Subject to availability of funding)
- Duty Station: Yola (with expected travel across areas of project implementation in Adamawa)
- Duration of contract: 3 months with possibility of extension
Salary according to qualification and experience.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 2nd June, 2023.