Team Assistant at African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Team Assistant
Position Number: 50072442
Location: Algiers, Algeria
Position Grade: GS5
- The Bank has reorganised and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex, whose primary objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions.
- Accordingly, five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director-General, in Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa, East Africa, and Central Africa.
Hiring Department / Country Office
- The various Country Offices fall within one of the five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Service Delivery Hubs. Each Hub oversees a combination of country and liaison offices and non-presence countries. The Deputy Director-General reports to the Director-General on the activities within their region of assignment. Each hub hosts the relevant operations, project implementation and business development functions and administrative capacity in a shared service for rapid deployment to individual countries, contributing to the Bank’s effectiveness on the ground.
- African Development Bank Group Country Offices have been created to strengthen strategic dialogue between the Bank, governments, and other stakeholders, improve project portfolio performance and ensure aid coordination with other development partners.
- The Team Assistant works closely with the Country Manager and other staff to provide administrative assistance.
- The incumbent will assist the Country Manager and other staff in optimising their schedules by handling administrative and secretarial tasks.
Under the supervision of the Country Manager, the Team Assistant will perform the following tasks:
- Receive and process all incoming and outgoing documents from the Country Office;
- Schedule appointments for the Country Manager and other country office staff and maintain their calendars;
- Ensure that documents submitted to the Country Manager and other staff for signature are complete and accurate and are accompanied by the relevant reference documentation;
- Draft correspondence (general or administrative) on own initiative or the basis of instructions and submit for signature of the Country Manager;
- Review outgoing correspondence for compliance with Bank-agreed formats and check all documentation submitted to the Country Manager and other staff for typographical errors, presentation, completeness, and procedural accuracy;
- Review and file priority and important correspondence and submit accordingly;
- Monitor compliance with set dates and deadlines using appropriate tracking tools and ensure correspondence and requests are processed promptly;
- Reroute correspondence for action by the Country Manager or send directly to the relevant section if required;
- Manage the Travel Manager in SAP to create missions, track and request approval of missions, request airline tickets and create mission requests on behalf of country office staff;
- Process administrative payments in SAP in accordance with the Bank’s guidelines on segregation of duties.
Communication and Coordination:
- Handle visitors and telephone calls with tact and discretion, acting according to the nature and urgency of each, including directing them to the appropriate office when necessary;
- Screen calls/visitors for the Country Manager and other staff; make appointments for visitors to meet the Country Manager and other staff;
- Provide protocol and event management services to support high-level visits and events led or attended by the Office, in coordination with Regional Office and Headquarters protocol officers as required.
- Provide background information to the Country Manager and staff for their appointments with official visitors and/or staff;
- Manage the flow of information between the Country Manager and other Country Office staff;
- Monitor deadlines for the Country Manager and other Country Office staff;
- Organise meetings for the Country Manager and other staff according to the Country Manager’s weekly schedule and timetable;
- Arrange the time and place of meetings, assemble the necessary briefing materials for meetings, including country offices as required; remind the Country Manager and other staff of scheduled meetings.
Record Keeping and Documentation:
- Maintain a paper and electronic filing system to meet the needs of the Country Office;
- Maintain a weekly calendar of activities indicating all meetings scheduled for the Country Manager and other staff. This also includes all visits outside the country office;
- Ensure the availability of briefing notes and background documents for meetings, seminars, workshops, etc., to be attended by the Country Manager and other staff and provide the appropriate information packs and documents;
- Maintain an updated contact list of partners working with the Country Office.
- Organise travel arrangements for the Country Manager and other staff members, including air tickets, hotel reservations, etc.;
- Assist in preparing presentations using PowerPoint or other software on their own initiative or as instructed;
- Draft routine correspondence and ensure follow-up on non-substantive issues;
- Maintain a filing system; process post-mission reports from the Country Manager and other staff; ensure the quality of documents requiring the approval and/or signature
- Prepare and finalise draft correspondence (letters, faxes, etc.) on various matters on behalf of staff members; prepare minutes of meetings;
- Carry out all other administrative tasks (photocopying, emails, etc.).
Competencies (Qualifications, Experience, and Skills)
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Business Management, Commerce, Administration, or a related discipline. Additional training in secretarial work, administration or office management would be an asset.
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant and practical work experience at increasingly senior levels in an executive office, preferably in an international organisation.
- Ability to work under pressure and set priorities in a dynamic, international, and multicultural environment.
- Ability to manage internal and external requests quickly and efficiently.
- Demonstrate integrity and confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficiency in current Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint). Familiarity with SAP or other ERP systems would be an asset.
- Proven ability to manage simultaneous and changing demands and priorities, as well as tight deadlines.
- Proficient in using standard equipment (computer, fax, scanner, photocopier, etc.).
- A commitment to excellent customer service with a focus on reception and administrative support.
- Ability to multi-task; excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively; demonstrate excellent customer service, teamwork, and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural organisation and cooperate with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Possess innovative and creative approaches to activities to enhance and create added value for clients and the organisation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th January, 2024.