Office Manager (Bilingual Secretary) at The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Office Manager (Bilingual Secretary)
Job Code: 20003776
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: Office of the President – Permanent Representative to the African Union – Addis Ababa
Line Supervisor: The Resident Representative – African Union – Addis Ababa
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Permanent Representative of the President of ECOWAS Commission in Addis-Ababa, the Office Manager should play a vital role in the smooth running of the office.
- From welcoming visitors to reception of calls, fixing appointments, organizing the schedule of his/her superior, drafting of correspondences and filling of documents.
- He/she should be quite accessible and responsive in the face of competing demands from both internal and external parties.
Role and Responsibilities
- Management of the Supervisor’s schedule: Manage the Supervisor’s diary and schedule. Organize and manage appointments, receive, and welcome visitors, make telephone calls, verify in-coming calls to ensure their importance and the possibility to respond or transfer to the supervisor.
- Administrative Management: Organize meetings; receive, draft, type and make follow-up on administrative letters. Book meeting rooms, request and provide supplies to the office.
- Management of mail and documents: Create a recording system of incoming and outgoing mails; ensure e-archiving and e-filing of documents using ECM software for easy retrieval. Manage documents (incoming and outgoing, filing of letters) and ensure follow-up on documents submitted for signature or approval.
- Computer skills: Knowledge of Ms Office, ECM and other Ecolink software when it is possible. Demonstrate ability in word processing in English, French and/or Portuguese.
- Assists colleagues with administrative tasks.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Perform other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- HND or equivalent in Secretarial Studies or Business Administration in a related field from a recognized University.
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in administrative Secretarial services including such tasks as the maintenance of personnel and financial records, technical cooperation planning and/or implementation.
- Understanding of administrative-related policies, procedures, and processes, and ability to recommend suitable office administration-related software and systems to be used.
- Technical competence in relevant ECM filing systems and correspondence-related procedures, guidelines, and processes to preparing and using administrative documents and templates.
- Demonstrate knowledge of transactional based accounting activities such as budgeting, vendor claims processing, reconciliation, and financial reporting.
- Knowledge and ability to identity accounting data discrepancies and operational problems.
- Demonstrate sound judgement and the ability to make reasonable decisions with little supervision.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS Key Competencies:
- Ability to provide suggestions based on own observations that will improve the way work is accomplished and confidently lead on their implementation as requested.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively as a team member, mentoring teams and occasionally leading on discussions and/or replacing other leading roles as required.
- Ability to support the team by keeping abreast of the team’s initiatives, events and needs, assisting team leaders as required.
- Ability work under pressure and be dependable for results.
- Ability to take responsibility for own career and performance and to engage in self-assessment activities regularly and independently.
- Ability to develop and maintain skills and expertise required to perform in the role effectively.
- Ability to write, read and edit documents in English, French and/or Portuguese; superior typing/keyboarding skills in all required languages with proficiency in the use of all software programs in the Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., excel, word processing, PowerPoint).
- Excellent team building skills with demonstrated group leadership ability to mentor, train, assign and check semi-complex work assignments of subordinates.
- Excellent work ethics, positivity, motivation, flexibility, and problem-solving skills to carry out tasks associated with position.
- Ability to take initiative to resolve semi-routine problems and make recommendations to improve the quality/quantity of services to clients.
- Ardent desire to help others in a variety of circumstances of relevance to own work area and to refer to appropriate person for further assistance as required.
- Ability to work as part of a team in articulating the needs of clients.
- Ability to manage own time effectively and meet service standards and objectives related to assigned responsibilities.
- understands how to access internal resources or services to enhance cultural awareness and actively seeks to improve multicultural skills when interacting with others with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, especially within west Africa.
- Ability to listen attentively to people’s ideas, requests and concerns and to understand, internalize and develop diversity management skills in accordance with ECOWAS rules/policies.
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Ability to recognize preconceived notions and stereotypical views of certain groups and individuals and to successfully adopt inclusive and culturally appropriate behaviors.
- Basic understanding of the ECOWAS organizations mandates and its functions, particularly those of own institution/agency.
- knowledge of ECOWAS routine procedures and practices as it relates to assigned responsibilities and work tools.
- Ability to apply ECOWAS standards for emailing and other routine tasks and to keep records, and information pertaining to assigned work in accordance with rules and regulations.
- Ability to apply ECOWAS procedures relevant to tasks and demonstrate understanding of associated systems, processes, rules and/or standards sufficiently to explain their necessity and to identify errors and consequences.
- Ability to address issues with others in a candid, polite, timely and straightforward manner.
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT).
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to organize routine work tasks, to identify solutions to address conflicting priorities or uncertainty in carrying out new or changing tasks.
- Ability to develop work goals and identify the steps needed to achieve these goals.
- Ability to understand and contribute to team or work unit goals as directed by supervisor.
- Ability to work within well-established office practices and balance multiple tasks within set deadlines.
- Numeracy skills with the ability to collect, collate, classify, and summarize data following clear and simple instructions.
- Ability to be innovative with established procedures with a view of improving performance and/or outputs.
- Ability to detect and correct errors and to keep accurate records of simple indicators/information.
- Ability to gather and arrange information and data in a simple and understandable manner.
- Ability to provide accurate and complete information to supervisor/co-workers/clients as requested, using good judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to use computers with advanced word-processing skills including a working knowledge of spreadsheets, database, inter/intranet, email, and social media.
- Ability to read/listen and understand routine instructions and carry them out with limited supervision.
- Ability to produce clear, concise, logical, and grammatically correct written material in at least two out of the three ECOWAS official languages and to have equal verbal language proficiency.
UA25,527.53 (USD40,277.34) – UA34,933.43 (USD55,117.96) Annually.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- Assessment method: Assessment of qualified candidates may include a written exercise and a competency-based interview.
- This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule article 9.3 of the ECOWAS Staff Regulations (revised 2021). All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited from ECOWAS citizens who are resident in the Member state where the position has been advertised. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
Application Deadline 8th August, 2023.