Rand Merchant Bank (RMB), a division of FirstRand Bank Limited, is a leading African corporate and investment bank and part of one of the largest financial services groups in Africa. We offer our clients innovative, value-added advisory, funding, trading, corporate banking and principal investing solutions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Credit Analyst
- An opportunity is available for a Credit Analyst in RMB Nigeria to report to the Head of Credit
The successful candidate will:
- Assess financial transactions, which include(s) an assessment of products (i.e. derivatives) and structures used.
- Present credit applications and reports to various credit committees and forums.
- Monitor financial covenants and financial risks for credit reporting.
- Ongoing evaluation and monitoring of counterparties and facilities.
- Ongoing monitoring and management of portfolio, which include making recommendations and/or providing input to further develop the bank’s lending policy.
- Liaise with various business units, divisions and subsidiaries within the FirstRand Banking Group.
- Interact with clients.
- Assess counterparty credit risk, which includes the following:
- Assessment or understanding of the operating environment (i.e. country, industry, regulatory and legal risk) and how it impacts the risk profile of the counterparty.
- Spreading and modelling of financial statements.
- Analysing and interpreting financial statements.
- Quantitative and qualitative assessment to identify and quantify the financial and business risks of the counterparty.
- Assign credit ratings to counterparties by using internally approved rating methodologies and models.
- Write credit reports and prepare credit applications and financial models to be presented to the relevant committees.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate must have:
- A Tertiary education with a financial background, with a minimum Second Class Upper division or equivalent
- At least five years of credit analysis experience, preferably within a large financial institution or five year’s experience in financial markets in a consulting/auditing capacity.
- Modelling, assessing or advising on financial and business risks should form part of this experience.
- A sound understanding of Treasury and Financial Markets products (i.e., derivatives) is required.
Technical Skills and General Competencies:
- General knowledge of practical economics relating to business, industry and the Nigerian macro-economic environment.
- Good understanding of financial instruments products (i.e., derivatives) and markets.
- A good understanding of credit ratings, portfolio theory and credit pricing.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Companies Act, Commercial Law, legal issues relating to security, exchange control and other relevant legislation or regulatory requirements, including IFRS, Basle II and III.
- Knowledge and understanding of the taxation of companies, financial institutions and shareholders.
- Strong character & integrity paramount.
- High degree of self-confidence; pleasant personality; well presented.
- Well organized / good time management skills / disciplined/ detail orientated.
- Self-starter able to work with minimal supervision.
- Flexible when necessary and ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Strong work ethic and able to operate in a fast-changing environment (building a business).
- Excellent communication skills (i.e., verbal, writing and presentation skills).
- Ability to work with a team and/or independently.
- Ability to quickly gain proficiency in the following areas:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of specific operating environments (i.e., country, industry, regulatory
- Introducing risk mitigating measures as input to transactions in line with the risk philosophy of the Bank.
- A good understanding of the Bank’s credit risk appetite, credit grading and credit pricing models.
- A general understanding of trends in the global lending market with a view to providing input into the bank wide lending policy development process.
- legal risk) and how it could impact on the risk profile of the counterparty and specific transactions.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of specific sectors and clients as part of a specific industry research team.
- Assessing financial transactions, which include derivatives and other product structures in order to identify credit and other risks pertaining to vanilla and exotic derivative structures.
- Identifying transaction specific risks including credit, taxation, accounting, legal and exchange control pertaining to transactions.
- Assessing counterparty credit risk.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.