Journalist – Pidgin Service at The BBC
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Journalist – Pidgin Service
Contract: Continuing (Permanent – Full Time)
- BBC Pidgin digital service aims to deliver our journalism in a lively and engaging fashion, with a focus on creating impact, interactivity and the promotion of content on social media and across all platforms.
- As one of our Journalists you’ll have a crucial role in increase BBC Pidgin’s time spent on the website and on social with the audience.
- By joining BBC Pidgin, you’ll be a part of the team, including Yoruba and Igbo, which serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa.
- You will be based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output.
- There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
- We are now looking for a creative and versatile journalist who is a passionate evangelist of digital storytelling.
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or online. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded.
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre- and post-production and studio work, live and pre-recorded.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld.
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate.
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve.
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
Are you the right candidate?
To be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques.
- Must be fluent in Pidgin and English.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage and the audience.
- A willingness to understand and adopt BBC Editorial Guidelines (especially as regards conflict of interest and impartiality) and to abide by BBC Values.
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively.
Application Closing Date
3rd December, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria.