Brand Manager at Japan Tobacco International (JTI)
Japan Tobacco International (JTI) is a member of the Japan Tobacco Group of Companies. Our 45,000 people come from all over the world, representing more than 100 nationalities. We market world-renowned brands in more than 130 countries with 409 offices, 29 factories, and 8 research & development centers.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Brand Manager
Job ID: 90917
Employment Type: Full-time
Professional area: Marketing
Contract type: Permanent
- The Brand Manager will be reporting and working closely with the Marketing Director to generate brand & portfolio strategies that grow share of market and brand equity of JTI brands in Nigeria, improve consumer engagement and drive growth to the business.
- He / she is tasked with using market and consumer data/analysis to formulate brand portfolio and pricing strategies to address JTI’s portfolio needs, delivering clear direction on what is relevant to the consumers, all within the legal framework (brand positioning, price opportunities, new brand/product introductions, packaging/product upgrade, messaging that engages the consumer).
- He / she is responsible for New Product Development (NPD) and the stewardship of brand equity and activation within the JTI portfolio whilst constantly uncover consumer insights to deliver innovative marketing communication platforms.
- He / she is the brand communication custodian for existing and new brand launches, acting as Brand Group for Aspen and Dorchester, working closely with Global brand groups for the GFBs, and closely collaborate with Marketing & Sales members to ensure consistency of brand equity and implementation of brand strategies.
- The Brand Manager will be based in Lagos Head office and he/she is also expected to travel for market field visits, packaging supplier visits and Consumer/Trade events.
Main Areas of Responsibilities
Portfolio & Brand Management:
- Responsible to understand the consumers’ needs (affordability, changing trends and new opportunities) and Market dynamics (profitability, competitor) to develop a relevant portfolio.
- Support the Marketing Director in developing Portfolio & Marketing strategies by providing all the necessary input related to brand(s) awareness & equity.
- Manage the development of JTI brand plans covering key strategies & objectives, and translate them into brand product & packaging, consumer engagement programs, and launch to market execution.
- Manage NPD projects, ensure timely implementation, an efficient cross-functional work with internal and external stakeholders, and full alignment with GBS NPD processes.
- Ensure that the integrity of the brands is strictly adhered to the global GFB guidelines and/or and local brands guidelines, and to the Global Marketing Standards.
- Develop and maintain Aspen & Dorchester’s Brand Guidelines & Communication platform (Nigeria market acting as Global Brand Group) to develop consumer engagement with the brands. Support other markets globally where Aspen and Dorchester are present
- Equip the Marketing & Sales teams with a clear understanding of the global/local brand guidelines and latest updates, provide necessary support to align established brand frameworks, collaborate closely with the teams to ensure consistency of brand equity and implementation of brand strategies.
- Manage marketing agencies & packaging supplier(s) to ensure quality output at a cost-effective development. Monitor marketing budget utilization & ensure adherence to JTI procurement process.
- Actively support with the definition of the pricing strategies, identifying price challenges, recommending pricing scenarios, price re-positioning and portfolio volume forecast by having a clear understanding of consumer behavior and dynamics.
- Develop of all elements of the marketing mix including new product and packaging, brand communication/messaging and strategies to strengthen brand equity and ensure alignment to brand positioning.
- Develop local creative materials & messaging within the Brand Guidelines & regulatory framework that can be adopted by Consumer & Trade Action team across multiple communication channels.
- Define Consumer program effectiveness evaluation metrics in terms of brand awareness & equity. Assess program activity effectiveness vs. KPI’s, recommend corrective actions to keep improving Consumer engagement.
Performance Measurement & Planning:
- Analyze JTI brands’ performance to identify short- and long-term issues / opportunities and crystallize targeted consumer insights and competitiveness.
- Monitor market trends, consumers’ wants and competitors’ activities to identify opportunities and key issues in order to develop the most effective portfolio strategy & communication tools within the legislation.
- Contribute to JTI monthly forecasting processes (production committee, IBP) by understanding and providing input on consumers behavior and dynamics.
- University Degree in Marketing, Communication or Business represents a plus
- Must have 8-10 years of experience in FMCG Brand / Trade Marketing functions.
- Conversant with the monitoring and analysis of consumer/trade trends & competitive intelligence
- Good understanding of pricing strategy and mix for brand portfolios
- Fluency in English. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- 4 to 5 years as a Manager and 2 years as a Senior Manager
- Hands-on experience in brand portfolio strategy & product development
- Excellent interpersonal, communication & organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills and data driven thinking
- Project management skills: ability to plan, prioritize, handle multiple tasks, set expectations, make and meet commitments
- Excellent to very good skills in PowerPoint and Excel are a requisite.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply