The Nigerian Communications Commission is the independent National Regulatory Authority for the telecommunications industry in Nigeria. The Commission is responsible for creating an enabling environment for competition among operators in the industry as well as ensuring the provision of qualitative and efficient telecommunications services throughout the country.
The Nigerian Communications Commission as part of its Strategic Vision Plan (SVP) 2023-2025 captures the need to encourage the development of new technologies and indigenous content through cutting edge research to stimulate sustainable economic growth and development in Nigeria.
Pursuant to the above, the Commission invites applications from qualified candidates for:
Title: 2023 NCC Talent Hunt Research Through Hackathon
About the Competition
The Commission invites Tech Hubs, Innovation Driven Enterprises (IDEs) in Nigeria to enter eligible start-ups and their solutions in the third edition of the NCC Talent Hunt Research Through Hackathon with focus on three (3) thematic areas:
- Blockchain-enabled Data Protection Solutions for Enhancing Regulatory Compliance
- Assistive Technology Solutions for the Elderly and People with Disabilities
- Technology Solutions for Renewable Energy in Rural Areas
The NCC Talent Hunt Research Through Hackathon leverages on Emerging Digital Technologies to facilitate the development of home-grown innovative solutions and local content development in the Telecommunications Sector while fostering economic growth and social advancement in Nigeria. The competition enables the translation of novel ideation to the development of hardware software/software solutions that addresses industry and societal challenges.
The criteria for participation in the competition include the following:
- The Enterprise MUST provide certificate of registration with corporate affairs Commission.
- The Enterprise must not have previously receive support from the Commission.
- The project should have clear relevance to one of the three thematic areas above.
- Clear problem statement, proposed solution and roadmap to deployment.
- Proof of concept (which may also include technical feasibility of idea with diagram, algorithm, existing models or case studies, etc.).
- Novelty of solution (including a declarative statement on ownership of intellectual property).
- Solution including prototype development shall be concluded within 6 months of receipt of the Grant (including statement of application of funds/ Bill of Engineering Measurement and Evaluation (BEME).
- Detailed Commercialization plan of the prototype.
Award of Grants
- The best three solutions, one from each area will receive grants of N10million each for the development of the solutions.
The Entry Submission must be in the following format:
- Ideation i.e., what is idea
- Minimum Viable Product (MVP) and solution functionality i.e. How does it work?
- Current Sweat Equity Investment.
- Product-Market fit status.
- Verifiable Go-to-Market status.
- Growth Feasibility Assurances.
- Maturity Model and Timeliness.
- Exist Time: Disaster Recovery – where applicable.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Apply
- All applications should be ONLINE and must follow entry format stated above.
- There is no cost to enter the competition. Kindly note that full control and ownership of intellectual property of the developed Solutions remain with the Commission.
- All entries must be made by a Tech Hub / Innovation Driven Enterprise who will register and submit on behalf of the entry the following documentations:
- Evidence of relationship with the Start-up/solution being entered.
- 4 pages of Executive summary of the project concept.
- 3-5 minutes video of the pilot project.
- D. Names, Age, contact details, passport photos and profile of all Team members.
- 5-7 minutes video of the pilot project.
- Website (if available)/E-mail address.
The Hackathon will open from September 1 to September 22, 2023 with other key dates as follows (Date – Stage):
- 1st September – 22nd September, 2023 – Applications open on line with September 22nd as submission deadline
- 25th September – 3rd October 2023 – Online Evaluation of applications/ Entries by Pannel of Judges
- 4th October, 2023 – Submission of Online Evaluation Report to NCC by Pannel of Judges
- 5th October, 2023 – Preparation and signing of letters of Invitation to Shortlisted Start-Ups/ Tech Hubs
- 6th October, 2023 – Dispatching Invitation letters to the twelve (12) shortlisted start-ups & Tech Hubs (four per each thematic area) to Abuja for idea pitch deck.
- 23rd October – 23rd October – Arrival of invited participants in Abuja
- 24th – 25th October 2023 – Pitch deck and grading of competitors by the Pannel of Judges in Abuja
- 26th October, 2023 – Award of Grant/Closing ceremony in Abuja.
- Applying to the Hackathon counts as a public disclosure of your idea and it is your responsibility to protect it adequately before making an application.
- Before applying, please ensure you are satisfied with the level of protection for any idea or material included in the application, and seek your own legal advice if necessary.
- Failure to do so may affect your ability to protect it in the future.
- Applicants are not required to include more detail about their ideas than they feel comfortable with or than is indicated in the online application form. However, please be aware that providing insufficient detail may affect the ability of the judges to make a fair assessment of your application.
Application Deadline 22nd September, 2023