Nutrition Assistant Consultant at Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant Consultant
Job ID: 2100062P
[sc name=”ads” ][/sc]
Contract Type: Employee-Based Contract
Employee Status: Contingent
- Katsina State is one of the states in the north-west region in Nigeria experiencing a deterioration in the security situation which has been marked by an increase in extortion, kidnapping, indiscriminate killings, lootings and other forms of banditry.
- According to the Nigeria Food Security Outlook, increasing levels of conflict relative to previous years are anticipated to disrupt typical livelihood activities in the Northwest, where most affected households are expected to remain reliant on markets for food. Food access is anticipated to remain low as staple food prices are expected to remain atypically high, driving Crisis (IPC Phase 3) over the next few months.
- It is expected the scarcity of food will increase the prevalence of malnutrition and lead to a deterioration of the health status of an already vulnerable group.
Rational and Justification for Engagement
Save the Children Denmark secured funding for the implementation of a Hunger response in Rimi LGA, Katsina State for a period of 4 months starting from September 2021 up till 31st December 2021. Amongst others, the following activities will be implemented:
- HEA Baseline Assessment
- Identification, Assessment and selection of Local Partner
- Identification and engagement of 167 Community Volunteers/Safe Space Facilitators for married adolescent group in target locations.
- Provision and distribution of prepared Tom Brown food items to pregnant and lactating mothers and children under 2
- Promotion of adequate health and nutrition behaviours among beneficiaries during distribution sessions
- Sensitization of community members on importance of MIYCN behaviours.
- Engaging with UNICEF on provision of micronutrient powders (MNPs) for 1,000 children 6-23months.
- Monitoring of distribution sessions and home visits on preparation of Tom-Brown recipe and use of MNPs.
- Therefore, the short-term Consultants will be engaged due to the short duration of the Award.
- Training of CVs/Facilitators of safe spaces for married adolescents on maternal, infant and young child nutrition (MIYCN), preparation of Tom Brown Recipe among pregnant and lactating adolescent mothers and children under 2.
- Training of 167 groups of pregnant and lactating adolescent mothers on MIYCN and Tom-brown preparation through cooking demonstration (12 participants per group). The reach will be 2004 pregnant or lactating mothers and 900 pregnant women.
[sc name=”ads” ][/sc]
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 28th August, 2021.