Pact works across multiple sectors and actors to combat corruption, promote democracy and improve health. Our funding partners run the gamut from the U.S. Government to private foundations to corporations, and our on-the-ground partners include Nigerian ministries and civil society organizations focused on advocacy, democracy and health. Since 2005, Pact …
Location: Akwa Ibom , Bayelsa , Rivers
Pact Productive Use and Demand Stimulation (PUDS) Project
Terms of Reference (ToR) for Consultant ( Economics of Productive Use Training)
Duration of Assignment: June – August 2022.
Pact is an international nonprofit that works in nearly 40 countries building solutions for human development that are evidence-based, data-driven and owned by the communities we serve. Our vision is thriving, resilient and engaged communities leading their own development. Founded in 1971, Pact works with partners to build resilience, improve accountability, and strengthen knowledge and skills for sustainable social impact. Pact’s integrated approach enables sustainable livelihoods, improved access to energy, natural resources management, and improved health outcomes by fostering good governance, strengthening local capacity, and engaging markets.
Shell-Pact Productive Use and Demand Stimulation (PUDS) Project
Pact will strengthen rural economic development and improve the commercial viability of mini-grids in Nigeria by supporting micro-enterprises transition from diesel generators to electric motors, and by supporting residents start new productive use enterprises across at least five villages, from March 2022 to February 2023.
Main objectives of the project:
1) improve knowledge of productive use opportunities, including the economics of transitioning from diesel generators to electric motors;
2) improve business skills and financial literacy leading to increased capability of assessing the potential for productive use equipment;
3) address supply chain and product quality challenges, and
4) to increase access to financing options for purchasing productive equipment.
We envision that with the project support, local economic activity, incomes, and demand for energy will increase, which will positively impact other socio-economic indicators in the target villages, while increasing both the number of customers served by mini-grids as well as average revenue per user. Pact is working with mini-grid developers, and have integrated village enterprises and producing households as beneficiaries, conducted needs assessment, and established a baseline understanding of skills, to tailor appropriately trainings and other technical support.
The objectives of the consultancy engagement include:
- Development of training manual and guides on “Economics of Productive Use”
- Implementation of a two-day training in each community (five communities in total) on the Economics of Productive Use.
- Conduction of pre and post training evaluations to provide information on knowledge level of training beneficiaries.
The consultant will report to the PUDS program manager. Additional support and guidance will come from Pact’s Finance and Operations Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will perform the following functions within the contracted period:
- Develop training manual on “Economics of Productive Use”: This will include a 15-to-20-page training pamphlets (or booklet) on the topic “How to Manage my Electricity”. The material is expected to be in the forms of pamphlets or simple pictographic booklets, developed with simple terminologies for ease of understanding by the rural enterprises and households. The modules should include the following:
- What is Energy Efficiency?
- What are the Benefits of Energy Efficiency to my business?
- How to Make Productive Use of Energy?
- What are the Energy Consuming Equipment in my house and business?
- How to Use my Electric Meter?
- How to know my Energy Cost?
- What is a Solar Mini Grid and what are the benefits?
- Which is better? Solar Mini Grid Connection or Diesel Generators?
- How to get more Information on Energy Use Efficiency?
Note: Training manual should use majorly images and pictures for illustrations.
- Develop a calendar guide titled “My Daily Energy Management Routine”. This will be a pictographic calendar in the form of a postal, that shows the different energy management activities to perform on daily basis (at different times of the day). The items illustrated in the calendar should include:
- What is my Meter Reading Today?
- What are the Energy Consuming Equipment in my Business or Home?
- What Energy Consuming Equipment do I need to use Today?
- When do I Need to Switch the Equipment on and off?
- What is the Peak Energy Generation Time Today?
- How is the Wire Connections in my House and Business Place Today?
- Keep your Eyes on Energy Cost
- Have I Switched off my Energy Consuming Equipment Before I Close my Business Today?
Note: Calendars should consist majorly of images and pictures for illustrations.
- Facilitate trainings on “Economics of Productive Use” using the materials above: The trainings will be conducted in English language using simple terminologies for ease of understanding. The trainings will be implemented in all five communities, using two days in each community.
- Conduct pre and post training assessments: to assess the knowledge gap before the training and evaluate the level of increased knowledge after the training.
- Develop and submit detailed report: the report should illustrate the stages of the activities explained above, illustrating the methodologies and results.
- The consultant is permitted to change the terminologies and titles of the training modules mentioned in (1) and (2) above, and advised to add any relevant topic not mentioned in this ToR.
- Developed and designed training manual and calendar as illustrated above. This ToR does not include printing of the materials as Pact will print all approved and final materials using official printing enterprises. Cost of any printed material by the consultant will not be reimbursed except on request by Pact.
- Detailed report of the activity, indicating methodologies, observations and results.
Estimated Level of Effort
We anticipate the level of effort to be equal to or less than 25 days. This is an estimated figure and will be spread within June to August 2022. Details will be discussed and finalized with selected candidate or firm at contracting stage.
Skills, Experiences and Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience implementing productive use, livelihood development, and entrepreneurship trainings in rural communities in Nigeria.
- Demonstrated experience working with rural leadership structures in Nigeria.
- Strong English communication skills.
- Willingness to consult with and accept feedback from project team members.
- Willingness to travel to remote and resource constraints rural communities in South-South Nigeria
- Current presence in Nigeria.
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in natural resource management, economics, agriculture, or any other social science field.
- At least 10 years’ experience in rural development projects, trainings, energy and resource management.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
Method of Application
Interested candidates or firms who meet the above qualifications should submit proposals (narrative and financial) describing their interests, accompanied by CVs, copies of relevant registrations and certifications, electronically to email@example.com
Individual consultants and consultancy firms are welcome to apply.
Please submit all attachments in PDF or JPEG format (for copies of certifications), with “PUDS Economics of Productive Use Training Consultancy” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The deadline for submission of applications will be Friday 3rd of June, 2022.
Closing date: unspecified
[sc name=”telegram” ][/sc]