The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers emergency aid and long-term assistance to refugees and those displaced by war, persecution or natural disaster.
Community Mobilization Officer
Requisition ID: req16026
[sc name=”ads” ]
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- Community health services form an integral part of the Health program of ensuring that people in supported geographical areas have access to quality and comprehensive primary health and reproductive health services as close to the family as possible.
- The Community Mobilization Officer will be a key member of the Yobe health team and will be responsible for mobilizing people and communities for essential critical live savings health services including Maternal Newborn and Child Health including voluntary Family Planning, HIV/TB, Clinical care for sexual assault survivors, adolescent sexual and reproductive health services, and immunization, surveillance.
- The CMO will also ensure these services are supported and owned by the communities through the Community health influencer, promoters and services.
- Implement community mobilization activities in field
- Ensure community participation at different Implement, and monitor community based activities and timely identification of gaps.
- Plan and conduct sensitization events in the catchment area of International Rescue Committee (IRC) supported Health facilities
- Formation of youth and adolescent network at health facility level.
- Conduct periodic Focus group discussion with specific age group.
- Ensure participation in facility management committee and ward development committee meetings.
- Actively engage and create linkages with community leaders and gate keepers with a view to mobilize their constituents for health services
- Identify needs and opportunities and provide relevant information to facilitate the program team’s ability to effectively engage communities.
- Provide hands on supportive supervision to community volunteers across the key mandates of the project.
- Keep close coordination with all sector for better integration within organization and with stake holders when required.
Supervise & Motivate community health influencers, promoters, and services:
- Facilitate team members in conducting the activities in uncovered area of community health influencers, promoters, and services agents.
- Motivate community health influencers, promoters, and services agents and other networks community Volunteers and oversee performance, build staff capacity where required.
- Hold progress analysis meeting with community health influencers, promoters, and services, and provide timely constructive feedback to improve the quality of field activities, analysis gaps and follow-ups.
- Prepare weekly and monthly narrative reports of field activities.
- Capture success stories and case studies
- Developing and maintaining the data bank and photo gallery of the project activities
Capacity building session:
- Conduct on the job training of Outreach workers, community health volunteers and community health influencers, promoters, and services agents activities.
- Conduct training to community health influencers, promoters, and services, on adolescent health and family planning, CCSAS, and post abortion care strengthen referral and follow up mechanism from field to health facility through community health volunteers and community health influencers, promoters, and services agents.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Required degree level: Minimum of Bachelor’s degree.
Education – Additional Comments:
- BnSC Nursing Science, Health Education, or related field with background in Health and Nutrition Social and Behavioral Change and communication, and evidence of completion of NYSC (Discharge / Exemption Certificate).
- Minimum of 3 year experience in Health and Nutrition Social Behavioral Change Communication.
- Experienced Working with Community health influencers, promoter, and services.
- Proven familiarity with international guidelines for national community mobilization strategy.
- Proven Capacity building experience.
- Experienced working Youth and Adolescent group.
- Previous work experience in Damaturu, Gujba, and Gulani LGAs.
- Clear understanding Familiarity with the understanding of the Nigerian Public health system.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team.
- Good oral and written skills; good drafting, formulation, reporting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels.
- Good teaching and coaching ability.
- Excellent computer office application skills.
- Proficiency for computer applications such as MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint.
Key Working Relationship
- Direct Report: Health Manager
- Indirect Report: Senior Community Mobilization officer
- Internal: Health Officers, Senior Health capacity building officer, M&E officers Nutrition officer, Nutrition Manager,
- External: State Health Promotion Officer, LGAs Health Promotion Officer, and Health facility Incharges.
- External Representation: Eastern Yobe & Gujba LGA Coordination Forum
- English and Hausa (Mandatory)
- Fulani or Kanuri (Must)
How to apply
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.