Plan International was founded over 75 years ago with a mission to promote and protect the rights of children.
Behavioral Change, Communication and Gender Equality Advisor
[sc name=”ads” ][/sc]
Contract Duration: Two months
- The position will support the overall coordination of the BORN project BCC and GE implementation strategy in line with the costed extension work plan of the BORN project.
- The role will support the projects to be more gender transformative and provide capacity building support to project staff and partners.
- The role will liaise with project partners in ensuring proper and result oriented engagement with various community structures in the dissemination of targeted MNCH/SRH and COVID-19 information that are geared towards positive behaviour change.
Dimensions of the Role
- Ensure the delivery of Gender Responsive and adolescent friendly MNCH/SRH services and COVID-19 Response in the State
- Work with Project Partners to provide technical guidance and strengthen the activities of 100 women groups, male champions, first time mothers at community, LGA and State level
- Provide technical inputs to all activity design and implementation that ensures the promotion of gender equality and adolescent friendliness.
- Work with Girls Out Loud Moderator to facilitate the roll out of the Girls Out Loud strategy, including ensuring proper recruitment of the girls in accordance with laid down eligibility criteria, provision of adolescent friendly coordination of the process and result oriented implementation of key action plans identified by the girls.
- Liaise with the State COVID-19 Risk Communication and Community Participation sub-committee of the State COVID-19 Taskforce, as well as, with the State and LGA Health Education Officers including the Ministry of Women Affairs and Child Development to ensure the dissemination of targeted gender responsive MNCH/SRH, and COVID-19 messages.
- Work with the Project M&E Advisor to set standard for achieving project targets, as well as, participate in the monitoring of progress made by the project partners in meeting their contractual obligations.
- Contribute to the reporting process within the project (monthly, semi-annual and final project reports).
- Ensure that the Project Gender Equality initiatives are aligned with both the Country and Global Gender Equality and Inclusion strategies.
- Foster strong relationships and work closely with stakeholders at state, LGA and community level on gender and inclusion work to keep abreast of key policy changes and relevant external issues, and to maximize their role as advocates for the change Plan International Nigeria aims to achieve.
- Create strategic partnerships and close coordination with all stakeholders, including the Government and its relevant agencies, civil society, and donor agencies.
- Ensure strong linkages with the Governance and Monitoring, Evaluations and Research (MER) units so that advocacy and gender and inclusion initiatives and reports are based on evidence.
- Represent the Project at meetings and events where necessary.
- Work with Regional Office and International Headquarters to strengthen and support Gender transformative programming.
- Collaborate with the Country Office and other sister Projects within Plan International Nigeria on key country-wide gender equality initiatives.
- Assume any other responsibility as assigned by the Head of Programs & business Development.
Administration and Finance:
- Ensure that administrative support functions are established and maintained in accordance with Plan International administrative policies and procedures.
- With support from the Finance and Administration Team, ensure that all finance policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure partner budget preparation are gender equality and adolescent friendly, setting the parameters and ensuring spends and forecast are in line with plans.
- Coordinate mobilisation of financial resources related to gender and inclusion activities.
- Ensure that reliable communications/information management facilities are established and maintained.
- Ensure project staff are familiar with usage and procedures of relevant gender equality protocols.
- Liaise with the Project HR and Admin Manager to ensure timely execution contracts relating to BCC/IEC materials development, as well as, appropriate provision of all logistics support for the smooth implementation of Gender Equality and BCC related activities.
Policy, Research and Networking:
- Represent the Project at the LGA and state level and contribute to the visibility of Plans’ work in relevant forums and networks in the State in the area of Gender Equality or as delegated.
- Ensure quality technical input into research documents and publications
- Have and maintain updated knowledge on state, national and global policies. Laws and other related documents on Gender Equality programming.
- Assume any other responsibility as assigned by the supervisor.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Graduate in any Social or Public Health discipline, preference will be given to candidates in a gender, human rights, development studies – specializing on gender and development or social development related discipline.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the sector, including field and management experience.
- Strong knowledge of child and women’s rights and gender justice.
- Proven record of accomplishment of leadership within an international organization.
- Compelling influencer and communicator – able to inspire, build consensus and bring people together around a common agenda.
- Experience with a diverse set of stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
- Project management and grant development experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in implementing, and monitoring inclusive, gender-equitable development programs
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate
- Experience drafting project reporting and monitoring project progress
- Experience of managing people and ability to build, develop and motivate a high performing team, prioritizing effective cross organizational working as a key element of high performance.
- Experience of managing budgets and planning and reporting protocols.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- In-depth understanding of gender and inclusion issues and how these link together with the child rights and human rights based approach;
- Strong abilities in program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Sound knowledge on issues of inclusion (marginalized groups including people with disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, indigenous minorities, etc.).
- Ability to effectively advocate for, lobby and present issues to internal and external audiences for children’s right, gender equality and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to produce clear, concise reports, concept notes and other documentation.
- Ability to train others in gender and inclusion related matters.
- Expertise in child rights and a passion for development.
- Strong ability to communicate complex technical or policy issues in simple and clear terms.
- Excellent communication skills that effectively represent an organization’s mission and values internally and externally.
- Strong team building and management skills in a virtual or matrixed relationship.
- Confident public speaker.
- Uses evidence-based results to make choices and drive change.
- Taking initiative to be innovative and creative to achieve results.
- Strives for quality in all he/she does, respecting deadlines, working continuously to improve performance.
- Takes responsibility for his/her actions, and learn from success and failures.
- Uses resources as intended, and can account for how he/she has used resources.
- Supports gender equality and diversity, and challenges forms of inequality or harassment.
- Encourages children young people, partners and colleagues to be meaningfully involved in decisions that affect them.
- Listens to and understand views of colleagues and partners. Draws on their experience to ensure high quality work.
- Upholds and demonstrates Plan’s values and behaviors.
- Team-orientated, versatile, personable and flexible.
- Calm under pressure.
- Ability to work comfortably and sensitively across cultures.
- Provides good and adequate administrative support to enable the project meet its agreed program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
Method of Application
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Interested and qualified? Go to Plan International on jobs.plan-international.org to apply