With funds from the Conservation Leadership Program (CLP) the Nigeria Program of the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is seeking an ethical and responsible Nigerian for an internship in Yankari Game Reserve. The position will report to the WCS Yankari Landscape Director and will be based in Yankari Game Reserve. The intern will be provided with training and field experience.
Vacancy Name: Internship
Work Location: Yankari Game Reserve, Bauchi State
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will spend time in both the field and the office, the main activities that the intern will be involved in include:
- Assist management and supervision of SMART-based ranger patrols. The intern will also help with the download of data from SMART devices in the field, with data analysis and report writing.
- Support the ongoing camera trapping project, with a focus on lions, including the placement of camera traps, battery replacement, data retrieval, storage and analysis.
- Provide support for school visits as part of the WCS conservation education program at Yankari.
- Assist the monitoring of collared elephants and lions, including learning radio telemetry techniques.
- Support storeroom management including fuel and patrol rations.
- Support the management of the operations room, including answering and logging radio calls from rangers and phone calls from elephant guardians.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a biological science or related field.
- Must be a fluent Hausa speaker.
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, conservation and sustainable development.
- Willing to undertake long-distance camping patrols with rangers on foot, and ability to withstand tough field conditions.
- Strong levels of physical fitness and resilience with an effective “roll up the sleeves” work ethic.
How to Apply
Applications should consist of a CV and cover letter and should be sent to email@example.com not later than the 15th of March 2021 as one single Word document.
For more information, visit https://nigeria.wcs.org/Staff/career1.aspx
- Applications sent later than the closing date, which do not comply with the application instructions will be disqualified.
- Please note that any successful candidate will be subject to a background investigation.
- Wildlife Conservation Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.