The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Mechanic (Security Systems) – Employees of Mission-All/or USEFMs, EFMs or MOHs)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2021-086
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series/Grade: LE – 1210 8
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hour per week
Promotion Potential: LE-8
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 06. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Current Employees of the Mission – This includes U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); Declared Members of Household (MOHs), dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM – All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Travel Required: 75% or less
- Incumbent travels to all Post within the region of responsibility either alone or as a member of an ESC/ESO team at least twice per year to perform preventive, routine, and corrective maintenance and repairs, glazing panel and hardware replacements.
- The incumbent conducts survey, inspection, routine and preventive maintenance, hardware repair and replacement and emergency repair of Forced Entry (FE) and Forced Entry/Ballistic Resistant (FE/BR) products (doors, windows, glazing units, louvers, and vault doors) and associated Americans with Disabilities (ADA) and Architectural Barriers Act (ABA) door hardware systems deployed by Overseas Building Operations (OBO) and Diplomatic Security (DS) at U.S. Diplomatic missions, and OBO owned and /or leased facilities to include Consular Agencies in designated region of responsibility.
- Studies and makes recommendations for way to improve the effectiveness of the Physical Security Systems at U.S. Diplomatic Missions in Engineering Services Center (ESC), Abuja, Nigeria and the other Posts the incumbent is responsible for.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of three (3) years of hands-on field experience in major repairs and installation of electrical/electronics, pneumatic, hydraulic, and heavy-duty mechanical equipment, reading and interpreting Architectural and Engineering Design drawings is required.
- Should have knowledge and/or experience in installing, troubleshooting, and repairing electrical and electronic systems; hydraulic and/or pneumatic equipment; in working with different types of steel, concrete and masonry wall construction, anchors, and bolts.
- Knowledge of reading and interpreting Architectural & Engineering Design Drawings.
- Completion of high school in addition to two (2) years of apprenticeship or an advanced equivalent local level of occupational training as technician, or mechanic is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Good working knowledge reading/writing/speaking English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to use MS Excel, Power Point, Word and Adobe Acrobat software, and internet search engines is required.
- Must be able to read blueprints and schematic diagrams of electrical and mechanical drawings, adjust, and repairs.
- Ability to maintain objectivity in difficult situations is required.
- Must have a valid Nigeria driver’s license for Automobile, Medium Duty Truck, Van, full-size SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle), or similar Motorized Vehicle.
- Must be able to use knowledge and skills to rectify problems associated with security equipment independently.
- Must be available for frequent travel up to 75% of the year alone or as part of the regional security team.
- Must be able be to apply knowledge of above in the installation and M&R to FB/BR ( Forced Entry and Forced Entry/Ballistic Resistant) door and window systems.
- Ability to use mechanical and electronic test equipment is required.
- Must have a good customer service and communication skills with the ability to deal with upset or difficult clients.
- Must be able to lift 75 pound and the ability to use special lifting equipment and/or coordination of unskilled laborers is required.
- Ability to employ a problem-solving approach to difficult issues rather than assigning blame is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN8,664,538 / USD42,570 Yearly
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
[sc name=”ads” ][/sc]
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Information and Notice
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Apply to this Vacancy” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position:
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- Driver’s License
- Certificate or License
- For EFMs, in addition to the above;
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section – 09-461-4000, HRNigeria@state.gov
Application Deadline 3rd September, 2021.
[sc name=”telegram” ][/sc]