Africa has millions of payments everyday day, but very few happen online. In Nigeria, just about 1% of transactions happen online. There are many barriers businesses have to face to accept payments online and that’s what Paystack is fixing. We’re making progress.
Key Accounts Manager
- Paystack helps businesses in Africa get paid by anyone, from anywhere in the world. Thousands of businesses of all sizes use our modern payments platform, including MTN, Smile Communications, GIGM, AXA Mansard Insurance, and many others. Within a little over 5 years, our close-knit team now processes a significant portion of all online payments in Nigeria. Recently, we were acquired by global payments leader Stripe to accelerate online commerce across Africa.
- At Paystack, we believe that we will win by recruiting talented people and giving them the space, resources, and support to do the best work of their lives. We hire the most capable people, treat them with genuine respect, and give them the means to succeed. And we’d love your help.
About the Role
- Paystack serves some of the most ambitious businesses in Africa. Our promise to our customers is that, beyond providing an amazing payments experience, we’ll help their businesses grow. This is a HUGE promise the entire company is committed to, and our Key Accounts Managers are key drivers of that promise.
- As a Key Accounts Manager, you’ll be entrusted with a portfolio of some of our fastest-growing customers from different sectors, across multiple countries.
- Your primary responsibility will be to scale and maintain the business of these companies, while helping them meet their most important business objectives.
- You’ll own some of our most important customer relationships, and lead both day-to-day conversations as well as high level strategic discussions.
- Running a business can be brutal, and you’ll see your portfolio companies at both their best and their worst.
- The best Key Accounts Managers are invaluable advisors to the companies in their portfolio, as well as relentless advocates. This is one of the reasons why we love speaking to entrepreneurs for this role. We find that entrepreneurs bring a high degree of natural empathy to the Key Accounts Manager role, because they have an instinctive understanding of the heady highs and crushing lows of being a business owner.
- You’ll dive deep into Paystack’s massive proprietary database to uncover market trends and translate them into actionable recommends. We process a large percentage of all online transactions in Nigeria, which gives us a granular understanding of what’s happening across multiple different industries.
- We’re looking for a teammate with a natural aptitude for identifying patterns from this valuable dataset, and sharing those insights both internally and externally.
- We’re also looking for a teammate who delights in learning everything there is to know about entire sectors. To best support your portfolio of assigned companies, you’ll need a deep understanding of their specific business needs as well as their broader industry.
- You’ll research the various sectors within which your portfolio companies operate to inform your recommendations for how these companies can thrive.
- Key Accounts Managers work with literally every team at Paystack. You’ll serve as an important link between departments to ensure that all parts of the company are working in sync to provide the best possible experience for our merchants and their customers.
- You’ll have visibility into what’s happening across the entire company, so you’ll need to be a sharp, articulate problem-solver capable of the significant responsibilities entrusted to you.
- This is a remote role (the entire company is working remotely during the pandemic) and successful candidates should be located within the GMT -3 to GMT +3 timezones. When it’s safer to travel, the role will require occasional travel to Lagos, Nigeria at least four times a year.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Build long-term relationships with your contacts at mid-market and enterprise companies and help them understand how to best leverage Paystack’s powerful product suite to meet their business objectives
- Develop account plans for winning and expanding business within your portfolio of accounts
- Upsell Paystack’s suite of products to your portfolio of accounts
- Analyse internal and external datasets to gain insights for various uses
- Research various sectors to better understand the competitive landscape of those industries, as well as both the threats and opportunities available to your portfolio companies
- Solve tricky tier 2 support issues escalated by businesses in your portfolio
- Represent Paystack at industry events, fairs, webinars, and demos
- Serve on one or more Product teams, using your insights from the field to inform product prioritization and product development
What it takes to succeed at this role
- Have a sophisticated commercial sense and are able to quickly understand the underlying drivers and strategy of our customers’ businesses
- Have an aptitude for identifying upsell opportunities, and closing them
- Are a strong communicator: you can write and speak clearly and compellingly, and understand how to explain complex issues to different audiences
- Have experience in a client-facing role, preferably at a technology company, with a track record of top performance
- Have a strong sense of ownership: you can be relied on to solve problems end to end, while managing all stakeholders involved, and proactively providing timely feedback.
- Embody the principle of servant leadership: you have genuine empathy for business owners, and you’re happy to go the extra mile to help them succeed
- Are able to analyse large amounts of data, identify useful patterns, and make recommendations based on your observations
- Are perceptive and a fast learner: you’re able to quickly understand the technology that powers Paystack and able to leverage your understanding to help customers achieve their goals. A Key Accounts Manager understands the Paystack product better than anyone else at the company
While this is NOT strictly required, it would be a plus if you:
- Have previously worked at fast-growing internet startups
- Have experience working with payments systems in Africa
- Are comfortable with analysing large amounts of data
- Are fluent in French or Mandarin.
- Competitive salary
- Full medical coverage
- MacBook Pro
- Gym membership
- Monthly internet budget to work from home
- Smart, kind colleagues who’re invested in your growth.
Method of Application
- Paystack is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We’re committed to providing employees with a work environment that is progressive and open-minded.
- Our employment philosophy is to hire the best people and empower them to do the best work of their lives.
- Employment decisions are based on business needs and individual merit without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, gender or age.
Interested and qualified? Go to Paystack on boards.greenhouse.io to apply